President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday appointed Usman Alkali Baba as the acting Inspector-General of Police.
Baba replaced Mohammed Adamu whose tenure was extended by three months in February 2021.
Until his appointment, Baba was a Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Force Criminal Investigation Department, Force Headquarters
Here are some things you should know about the new Police Boss.
- Alkali Baba was born in Giedam, Yobe State on 1st of March 1963
- He bagged a BA (ED) in Political Science from Bayero University, Kano, in 1985
- He has a Master’s Degree in Public Administration (MPA) from University of Maiduguri, in 1997
- He’s a fellow of the National Defence College and a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police
- The Yobe born Police Officer has held several strategic positions in the past including: Acting DIG, Finance and Administration, Assistant Inspector-General of Police in-charge of Zone-5 Benin, Zone-4 Makurdi, Zone-7 Abuja, Commissioner of Police FCT and Delta Commands.
- He has also held the position of the Force Secretary
Service Commendations and Awards
The new Police Boss has been recognised for many feats in the line of duty and one of such was the award for the Best Anti-Crime Security Chief in 2016 while serving as the Commissioner of Police in Delta State.
The award, given by Security Watch Africa was in recognition of his”motivational leadership demonstrated and novel/effective anti-crime. Strategies emplaced towards restoring public confidence and addressing the challenge of high-level organised crimes as Commissioner of Police in Delta State.”
In 2015, Baba also received the Inspector-General of Police’s Letter Of Commendation (for initiatives, exceptional, leadership, Problem-solving competency, and Landmark Operational Strides as Commissioner of Police in Delta State.
He had also won award for Humanitarian Work, Religious Harmony Initiatives as well as the Commissioner of Police Commendation for diligence and excellence in administrative and operational duties.